Art City Request for Proposals
2015/16 Professional Guest Artist Series
Art City invites local, national, and international artists to submit proposals to lead collaborative art workshops at our studio in 2015/16.
Art City is located in West Broadway, a culturally diverse and densely populated neighbourhood in the heart of Winnipeg’s inner city. Art City is a drop-in community art studio, open free-of-charge for anyone (all ages) who would like to take part, engaging an average of 25 participants per evening. The majority of those who come to Art City are youth between the ages of 6 and 13 years. Older youth, adults, and seniors also regularly participate in Art City programs.
Guest Artist proposals are selected by a Jury made up of Art City staff, Board members, and former Guest Artists. Selected Guest Artists will be supported in developing, managing, and facilitating their workshops by the Artistic Director, two Art City staff, and at least two volunteers per workshop. Proposals should be designed for a 5-day period, Monday – Friday from 3:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Artists* will receive $1,500.00 for a one-week project. Travel, accommodations, and per diem will be provided for selected non-local artists.
All selected artists will be required to obtain a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check, eligible for reimbursement by Art City.
Submission Deadline: Monday, February 16, 2014 (postmarked)
Mail proposals to:
Eddie Ayoub, Artistic Director
c/o Art City
616 Broadway Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0W8
Incomplete, late, or email applications will not be considered
For further information about Art City and the Guest Artist Series, please contact Art City by phone:204.775.9856, or email Artistic Director, Eddie Ayoub at: [email protected]
* While proposals from more than one artist will be considered, please note that no additional artist fees are available (i.e. artists must split fees)
* For funding purposes the Guest Artist Series is for practicing artists only. Organizations and arts educators are welcome to contact Art City for other opportunities for collaboration.
All submissions must include the following:
· Your name, address, e-mail and phone number
· A short (one page) letter of interest, describing:
– As an artist, why do you want to collaborate with the West Broadway community?
– How will your workshop facilitate a meaningful artistic exchange between you and
members of the West Broadway community?
– How will this experience benefit/impact you as an artist?
· Proposed title and brief description of the workshop
· A workshop outline describing each daily 4.5-hour session
· An itemized materials list
· A brief biography summarizing professional achievements (1 paragraph)
· CV including professional activity and past community engagement (3 pgs maximum)
· Visual support in digital format (maximum ten images and/or three minutes video)
· Include corresponding list of works with title, date, medium, and dimensions
Selection criteria for Art City Professional Guest Artist Series proposals:
• Demonstrated professional art practice
• Demonstrated understanding of urban and/or cultural issues pertaining to
• Experience and willingness in working with participants of all abilities and ages
• Creativity and/or quality of proposed workshop
• Proposed workshop reflects the artist’s own art practice
• Applicability and thoroughness of project outline
• Content appropriateness for a youth audience
• Art media appropriateness for Art City and a youth audience (e.g. cost effective and
Art City participants enjoy the projects best when…
• The activities are clearly explained, make sense, are simple, make use of examples,
and can be re-explained to new participants as they arrive throughout the evening
• They learn something new
• They make something they can use and/or play with, and/or take home to share with
their friends and family
• They are able to participate in collaborative projects, especially through working on
individual or small group components that can be combined to create one big
• Activities are culturally relevant to their own lives
Art City Request for Proposals