A one year Residency Opportunity for an Emerging Ceramic Artist
The Port Moody Arts Centre Society supports artistic excellence and innovation. This residency is open to all emerging ceramic artists over 19 years of age. The residency will require an emphasis on making, learning and sharing the process of creating with clay. The residence program supports emerging artists who focussing on contemporary advanced ceramic art and who use clay as their primary material.
The residency is an excellent opportunity for artistic development within an innovative and supportive ceramic community. The clay studios at the Arts Centre are busy, supportive and house a true sense of community. There are classes for adults in hand building and wheel throwing, children’s classes that range from after school clay to spring & summer camps, plus a very active Open Studio group of ceramic devotees.
The resident artist must be available 3-4 hours per week for public outreach activities such as Open Studio, informal talks, studio tours for student groups, demos and exhibition installation.
The Residency will offer:
- a secured ceramic studio space for one year, with ample room for a wheel, storage of work in progress and supplies
- daytime and evening access to studio space
- firing personal work up to 2 glaze firings /month
- opportunity to showcase work and engage with the public
- opportunity to engage with the Arts Centre’s community of ceramic artists
- opportunity to present classes and/or workshops
- display a body of work at the conclusion of the residency
In return, we ask that the Resident:
- guarantee a minimum of 8 hours per week be spent working in the studio at regularly scheduled times
- supervise two Open Studio session per week (community aspect)
- be responsible for own clay/specialty glazes/tools/equipment (i.e. wheel)
- promote best interests of the Arts Centre
- comply with all occupational, health and safety issues
There will be no exchange of funds involved with the residency, but there will be opportunity to instruct, engage with the public and to display your work.
The successful Artists in Residence applicant will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check prior to starting their residency.
* Emerging Artists are defined as professional artists who are at the early stages of their career. Ceramic Art is their main vocation, they have specialized training and some experience exhibiting their work.
* Established Artists (for definition purposes only) are defined as professional artists who are recognized by their peers. Ceramic Art is their main vocation, they have specialized training and have created an established body of work.
To apply: complete this form or download the Ceramics Artist in Residence Application Form [pdf].
Forms and further details available by emailing Sandra Niven, Program and Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: May 31, 2015
Visit their website for more info.