ABOUT: the CALL OUT
We invite speakers to take part in the Beyond Jewellery symposium to coincide with the exhibition flockOmania2, an exhibition and live performance event which crosses boundaries between jewellery and dance (please see further info below). Located within the field of contemporary art jewellery and with a keynote presentation from Di Mainstone, this symposium explores the relationships between sculptural objects, the body and performance. In doing so, Beyond Jewellery offers a space to interrogate and reflect upon interdisciplinary projects interested in the body as a meeting place or nexus for collaboration.
Proposal submissions might include (but are not limited to) the following themes:
- OBJECTS – embodied objects, wearable objects in motion and in performance, artefact as performance, experiments with scale and materiality
- BODY – notions of the post-human body, inter-subjectivity in performance, the mediated body and haptic knowing
- COLLABORATION – creative partnerships, co-creating and emerging process orientated making practices
- BOUNDARIES – interdisciplinary adventures, blurring boundaries and disciplinary rule-breaking
- PERFORMANCE – composing the object, activating objects through performance, sonic landscapes, sites of sensorial investigation and temporal relationships
- AUDIENCE – engagement and interaction, performative making, playful encounters and audience as co-creators
The symposium will offer a space for discussion, engagement, debate and experimentation, and aims to initiate dialogue around the role of the body in creative practice. We invite proposals from scholars, artists and research students in a range of modes and formats including: 20 minute papers, curated panels, artists talks, film, performance lectures, 10 min lightning talks, and performative interventions.
HOW TO APPLY
- Abstract submission deadline 8th January 2016
- Notification of acceptance 1st February 2016
- Registration opens 15th February 2016
- The symposium Thursday 17th March 2016
Please ensure your proposal includes:
- Name(s) of contributors
- Email contact address
- Title of proposal
- Indication of presentation type
- Outline proposal (250 words max, with up to 3 images if appropriate, jpeg 72dpi)
- Indication of any technical requirements. Please note due to the nature of the event we are not able to offer space or technical support for full scale performances.
- Short biography of contributors (150 words), including web links
- Formatted as a word doc
- For informal enquires and submission of proposals, please email Zoe Robertson at email@example.com before 5pm on January 8th 2016.
The Beyond Jewellery symposium will be held at Birmingham City University, The Parkside Building, 5 Cardigan Street, Birmingham, B4 7BD. It is organised in conjunction with the School of Jewellery (Faculty of Arts Design and Media, Birmingham City University) and the Centre for Dance Research (C-DaRE, Coventry University). Convened by Zoe Roberson and Sian Hindle (School of Jewellery) and Dr Natalie Garrett Brown (C-DaRE).
For full program and application details, please find links here.