Juried Quilt Challenge
Exhibit January 26 through April 25, 2017
EVOLUTIONS 2017 is an open challenge to all quilters and fiber artists in celebration of yesterday’s traditions as well as tomorrow’s innovations. Evolution can be defined as growth— a process of continuous change, from lower to higher or from simpler to more complex. Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum challenges you to create your concept of an evolution quilt. Interpret evolutions any way you choose—on a personal level, on a global level, or perhaps related to changes and growth of your favorite means of creative expression, the quilt. There are no design restrictions. Selected quilts will be exhibited at RMQM January 28, 2017. Ribbons will be awarded for first, second, and third place; the first place winner will be awarded a solo exhibit at RMQM in 2018.
Juror: Martha Sielman
Martha Sielman is the Executive Director of Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc. (SAQA), a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing art quilting as a fine art medium. Over the past eleven years of Sielman’s leadership, SAQA’s membership has grown to over 3,500 members in 32 countries.
Sielman is the author of four books. She has served as a juror for the 2012 Swarovski Crystals Art Quilt Competition, the 2009 Niche Awards, and the Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts in 2014. Sielman is a frequent lecturer on art quilts and founded “Fiber Revolution,” a northeast art quilt exhibition group.
- Challenge is open to all quilt artists; international entries are welcome. All entries must have been completed after January 1, 2014.
- Entry must consist of at least 2 layers and held together by some form of stitching, whether by hand or machine.
- Entry, which includes 2- & 3-dimensional work, must be a minimum of 18″ any one side / maximum of 60″ any one side. All work not to exceed 10 pounds.
- Entry must have a 4″ finished sleeve attached to the full width of the top edge of the quilt, or an alternative installation method must be provided by entrant.
- All entries must be clean, free of pet hair, smoke and odor. RMQM reserves the right to disqualify any entry that does not meet show criteria, exhibits poor quality construction, or has been misrepresented by the digital images.
- Entry must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
Enter online: October 1-31, 2016
Notification of acceptance: November 15, 2016
Work to be received at RMQM: January 6, 2017
Exhibit opens: January 26, 2017
Opening reception: February 3, 2017
REQUIRED AT REGISTRATION
Entry fee: $35 RMQM members; $55 non-members. We accept credit card payments online at time of entry. You may pay before or after you submit your entry. Entry fee is non refundable and payment does not guarantee acceptance. Entry fee must be paid by credit card or PayPal account.
HOW TO ENTER
- Limit: three entries per person.
- Entries require two color digital images
- Image #1 a full view of the quilt;
- Image #2 a close up showing detail.) for each entry.
- Digital images to be formatted at 300 dpi. Image size should be a maximum of 6” on the longest side (1800 pixels).
- JPEGs only.
- Entrants will be notified by November 15, 2016 if accepted.
- Entries may be offered for sale. A forty percent commission will be retained by RMQM upon sale of entry, which must remain on display for the duration of the exhibit.
- Entrants are responsible for shipment and insurance costs of entry while in transit to RMQM, 200 Violet Street, Unit 150, Golden, CO 80401. All return shipping and insurance fees will be paid by RMQM.
- Registration will open at midnight CDT on October 1, 2016. The last day to register is October 30, 2016 until midnight CDT.
If you have any questions, please contact Karen Roxburgh at email@example.com. If you have technical questions about the on-line system, please contact Lisa Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information click here.