Call for artists to design and create the Human Rights Commitment Award of Manitoba 2018
The Awards Planning Committee is now accepting submissions from Manitoba based artists of a design for the Human Rights Commitment Award of Manitoba 2018.
Since 2000 the Human Rights Commitment Award of Manitoba has recognized Manitobans (individuals and groups) who courageously contribute to the advancement of human dignity and the elimination of discrimination in this province The Manitoba Human Rights Commission, the Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties and the Canadian Human Rights Commission have partnered to host an awards event in celebration of International Human Rights Day. For the past several years, this has been done through the presentation of a work of art that relates to the advancement of human rights to the award recipient.
Deadline: September 14, 2018, 12 noon
1. Submissions are open to all mediums including, but not limited to textiles, paper, metal, glass, wood. Detailed description of the proposed artwork including approximate dimensions, specific materials used. Photos and/or sketches are preferred. (There are no specific size parameters but the piece must be in a scale that is portable for presentation.)
2. The following information must be incorporated on the piece. Human Rights Commitment Award of Manitoba 2018
Name of Recipient (to be provided)
(The text can be incorporated directly into the piece or it can be applied to the piece in the form of a plaque.)
3. Submission must be accompanied by:
a. a brief description of how the concepts of the advancement of human dignity and the elimination of discrimination have guided the design. (250 word max);
b. artist’s contact information;
c. artist’s CV (3 pages max); and
d. examples of previous work (up to 5 jpeg images, 72 dpi) that reflect aesthetic and artistic quality of
4. Submissions will be reviewed by the Awards Planning Committee and one artist will be selected.
5. Payment to the selected artist is limited to $700.00 (including taxes) – including, but not limited
to, artist fees, design fees, materials, fabrication/production and shipping of commissioned piece to downtown Winnipeg address.
6. Credit will be given to the artist where possible and a news release will be issued in advance of this event.
- September 14 12 noon: submission of proposals due
- September 21: notification of selection committee results
- November 26: award recipient’s name will be provided for plaque
- December 3: delivery of art to 7th Floor, 175 Hargrave Street
- December 10: Awards Reception
Email submissions to email@example.com with “HRC Awards – your name” in the subjectheading. Please note the electronic submissions must be limited to 10 MB per email.
Mail loaded USB or CD to:
Awards Planning Committee
c/o Canadian Human Rights Commission
750 – 175 Hargrave Street
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3R8
(Please enclose a Stamped SAE if you would like your submission returned to you.)
All questions regarding this call should be directed to:
Lily Rosenberg: 204-983-2189; firstname.lastname@example.org